- Open loop gift cards (53%) and closed loop (retail) gift cards (45%) are the top holiday gift picks among Canadians
- One-third (33%) of Canadians have given, and 45% of Canadians have received, an open loop gift card as a gift
- While Canadians of all ages are equally as likely to give a gift card, Millennials are the most likely to have received an open loop gift card as a gift (57%)
- Over three-quarters (78%) like the flexibility of being able to use open loop cards almost anywhere versus a retail gift card
- Over half (51%) prefer open loop gift cards because it is more secure than giving cash
The What Canadians Really Want: 2015 Holiday Gift Trends online survey of 1,563 Canadian consumers was conducted by Leger and commissioned by the Canadian Prepaid Providers Organization (CPPO).